This is one of the very few Strikeforce cards I missed, but I’ll catch it on DVR at a later date. From all that I’ve heard, it was a really good show, with a couple of upsets.
Here are the results of the live show:
1. Pat Healy defeated Maximo Blanco in round two by submission (rear naked choke).
2. King Mo knocked out Roger Gracie late in the first round.
3. Luke Rockhold beat Jacare Souza by unanimous decision to win the middleweight championship.
4. Daniel Cormier beat Big Foot Silva via KO in the first round.
5. Josh Barnett beat Sergei Kharitonov via arm triangle in the first round.
Cormier and Barnett will meet in the finals of the tournament, which is scheduled to happen early in 2012.
They’re doing Pride style introductions for all the combatants in the Heavyweight Grand Prix.
Let’s get into it.
1. Ray Sefo vs. Valentijn Overeem
Overeem tried to start on the feet, but Sefo was getting the better of him so Overeem went for the takedown and immediately grabbed his neck, cranked it and Sefo tapped.
Winner: Valentin Overeem by way of 1st round submission
2. Gian Villante vs. Chad Griggs
These guys just let their hands go and didn’t really care if they were going to get tired. Griggs was getting the better of it for most of it. Villante tried to turn it into a wrestling match, but he couldn’t close quickly enough without getting hit and he was wobbly early. He threw a wide high kick that cut Griggs’ ear up. Griggs threw two right hands that dropped Villante and Villante didn’t get back up after the second one. Fun, though entirely sloppy fight.
Winner: Chad Griggs by way of 1st round TKO
3. Lavar Johnson vs. Shane Del Rosario