It’s the last of our FGB Awards for the year – check out our 2016 Pro Wrestling Awards.
GG is chronicling WrestleMania 32 weekend.
UFC 124 was their year-end big card which was heavy on main event, and light on the rest of the card. Considering Sean McCorkle, in just his second UFC fight, was in the main event, you knew they were going bang or bust with this one on the backs of Josh Koscheck vs. Georges St. Pierre. It was an enjoyable card, but you’ve seen better MMA shows this year.
Here’s what we thought of UFC 124:
Best Fight: John Howard vs. Thiago Alves
Worst Fight: None
Really enjoyable show. No classics, but the main event was definitely memorable and there wasn’t a bad or boring fight on the card. Common consensus would be Riddle/Pierson (for best fight) but I’m going with Alves/Howard. I just had so much fun watching that fight, Alves was unreal and Howard put in a good effort and did well not to be finished. Seriously none (worst fights). The four short fights all had cool finishes and the three decisions were very entertaining.
Best Fight: Sean Pierson vs. Matt Riddle
Worst Fight: Sean McCorkle vs. Stefan Struve
I was a little tardy getting back to see the show, so I missed most of the first round of the first fight.
But let’s get to it.
1. John Howard vs. Thiago Alves
From what the announcers said, the round seemed to be even, though, Alves’ nasty leg kicks seemed to be the difference. There was one super loud one that seemed to hurt Howard.
The second round was similar, but Alves had the upper hand. He got a take down late in the round to add insult to injury.
Alves put Howard down with a left hand, and went down to finish him, but Howard defended well and got back to his feet. Howard tried to stand toe-to-toe with him, but Alves’ leg kicks were too much. Howard tried to swing for the fences.
Winner: Thiago Alves by way of unanimous decision
2. Mac Danzig vs. Joe Stevenson
Danzig clocked Stevenson with a short left hook that dropped him like a bag of rocks. Stevenson was coming in at the same time and Danzig clocked him.
Winner: Mac Danzig by way of 1st round TKO
3. Charles Oliveira vs. Jim Miller
Thanks to F4Wonline.com for the weigh-in results.
1. B.J. Penn (155) vs. Kenny Florian (155)
2. Anderson Silva (205) vs. Forrest Griffin (205)
3. Ricardo Almeida (185) vs. Kendall Grove (185.5)
4. Kurt Pellegrino (154.5) vs. Josh Neer (155.5)
5. Amir Sadollah (166.5) vs. Johny Hendricks (171)
6. Aaron Riley (154) vs. Shane Nelson (156)
7. Tamdan McCrory (170) vs. John Howard (169.5)
8. Alessio Sakara (185.5) vs. Thales Leites (185)
9. Matt Riddle (170) vs. Dan Cramer (169.5)
10. George Sotiropoulos (155) vs. George Roop (154)
11. Jesse Lennox (171) vs. Danillo Villefort (170.25)
And here’s the video from ESPN.com: