Our Throwback Thursday only goes back a few days. We’re throwing back to last Sunday for Premier XII.
And the new Premier Heavyweight champion … Continue reading
On Sunday evening at the I F D E S Lodge-Portuguese Hall in Gilroy, CA, Premier held their anniversary show. I’ve been to their last three shows and each was entertaining, yet in different ways. The first show (Cobb vs. Tannen) was my introduction to the Premier style which is to present wrestling as a sport, with a UFC type presentation. The second show featured Jeff Cobb defending his Premier Heavyweight Championship against Oliver John in one of the best matches I’ve ever seen live. And while this show didn’t have that type of match (though Dave Dutra and J.R. Kratos had a very good match), every single match was quality and it was a well-rounded card. Continue reading
On Sunday evening in Gilroy, California, Premier put on their last show of 2013. It was a slightly different show than Premier: Cobb Vs. Tannen which was in late September. On that show, the early matches built up to the last three matches which were all action packed and hard hitting.
On Sunday, the entire card seemed to build up to the main event with the idea that Jeff Cobb vs. Oliver John was something special and that they were saving the best for last. That’s not to say that the rest of the matches were easily forgotten because they weren’t. But there was definitely an emphasis on getting the crowd ready to see something special in the main event. Continue reading
John LaRocca, (@LaRoccaJL) President and co-owner of Premier, joined me to discuss Bellator’s big show this weekend, UFC main events to end the year, and his wrestling promotion, Premier, which you can follow on Twitter (@PREMIERwrestle) and Facebook.
Here are some of the things we talked about:
– The new Bellator on Spike card without Tito Ortiz vs. Rampage Jackson
– Thoughts on what Bellator did when news got out that Tito was hurt
– If Tito ever fights again and where Rampage could go after Joey Beltran
– UFC predictions for GSP/Hendricks, Weidman/Silva, and Rousey/Tate
– The infamous Cow Palace wrestling convention
– When John’s wrestling fandom started
– His early years in the business
– How Premier wrestling is different and its influences
– Their upcoming December 15th card headlined by Oliver John vs. Jeff Cobb
Right click to download or stream below.