So here it is, my final ballot for what I consider the 100 greatest in-ring wrestlers of all time.
As anyone who’s been reading my blogs on this knows (Intro| Baseline|3 month update|July update|November update) I did a list of 100 roughly 16 months ago and have watched all types of wrestling in that time since, with a view to how it changes the original list. I got exposure to wrestlers I hadn’t seen much of, promotions and eras that I had barely scratched the surface on, and overall, really took a lot from this as a fan.
But as I noted in the second blog, I very quickly realized that I had no chance of covering the volume I initially envisioned. There is just so much amazing old wrestling and SOOOOOOO much amazing current wrestling ongoing. I wish I had more time to sink my teeth into World Of Sport, I wish I could have watched even more Joshi than I did, and I wish I could have re-watched all the great stuff that I loved from the 2000s US indy scene. But hey, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon, plenty of life left for all that, haha!
I won’t do another list like this for many years so that when I do it will be interesting to see how it changes. It was interesting enough seeing how it changed from the baseline list in December 2014. Continue reading
In the US, pro wrestling was down because WWE was down. TNA was more putrid than ever, which is a shame because they started 2010 with such high hopes. ROH and Dragon Gate USA continue to put out a product that, for the most part, their audiences like, but their audiences are small and hardcore. And based on what Alan has said, there’s some great stuff in some of the bigger independent organizations.
There’s always good stuff. Sometimes, you just have to dig. Alan, Duan, myself, and Stevie J from Angry Marks have listed our picks for our awards. Also, we have Big D making his return to the site for “One Night Only”, giving his thoughts as well. You can find D at Superfriends Universe.
Most Outstanding Wrestler Of The Year
Alan – Chris Hero
Career year for Metropolis’ finest. He tore it up in NOAH, PWG, ROH, EVOLVE and wXw during the course of the year, having one great match after another. Shined in both singles and tags (as part of the Kings Of Wrestling). His matches with Akira Tozawa, the Briscoes, Martin Stone and Davey Richards were crazy good.
Duan – John Cena
Another brilliant year for Cena. He delivered his best work when needed and remains the best reason to tune into WWE TV.
Hey guys, Superfriend JP Nichols typed this up about his experience at the Friday Night DGUSA show. Dragon Gate USA ran in Glendale, AZ in Celebrity Theatre as night one of their Wrestlemania double-shot weekend.
Firstly, the results:
– In a dark match: Brad Allen won The Dragon Gate Fray.
– Yamato defeats Luke Hawx with a brainbuster. Bob Saget (Yes from Full House) was the Special Ring Announcer. The match was taped for Saget’s A&E series.
– Susumu Yokosuka and Grenki Horiguchi defeat Mike Quackenbush and Jigsaw when Yokosuka pinned Quackenbush with a Tiger Driver 98 set up into a DDT
– Yamato defeats TJP with a sleeper.
– Brian Kendrick and Jon Moxley defeat Paul London and Jimmy Jacobs when they get a rollup on Jacobs. Moxley attacks Jacobs after the match. London took a really nasty spill right before the finish and it shows on his back. Moxley and Jacobs brawl and Jacobs sets Moxley up on the table outside for London to put Jon through. London and Kendrick are now in the ring talking. Kendrick is on the mic telling him that it’s not worth the cheers to do this. He tells Paul that it isn’t worth it. Teddy Hart comes out and says that London has lost his balls. Hart does a moonsault and puts Moxley through the table. London tells Teddy to do another moonsault and Teddy backflips into the ring. London and Kendrick attack Hart. Teddy is now attempting to get back in the ring and is asking where is Jack. London and Kendrick come out and are attacking him but Teddy makes a comeback and eventually dives from the ring onto them. Teddy left and London and Kendrick also leave. Hart appeared to have hit his head hard on the ground when he made the dive to the floor. Before the main event, Jack Evans returned and said that Teddy Hart is supposedly on his way to the hospital with a broken clavicle. Evans wants London and Kendrick in some form tomorrow night.
– Masato Yoshino defeats Shingo with the Sol Naciente in what was described as a great match. After the match, Jon Moxley comes out to help Shingo.
– LA PARK and Hijo De Rey Mysterio defeat Derrick Niekirk and G.Q. Gallo by disqualification after Gallo hit LA PARK with a low blow.
– BxB Hulk defeated Naruki Doi with the E.V.O.P. to retain the Open the Freedom Gate Title.
– CIMA, Gamma, and Dragon Kid defeat Jack Evans and the Young Bucks when Cima pinned Matt Jackson with Meteora.
FIP Owner Sal Hamaoui, FIP Champion/ROH Tag Team Champion Davey Richards, and former ROH/FIP booker and current Dragon Gate USA booker Gabe Sapolski, possibly believing that ROH’s days are numbered, have opened a new wrestling promotion for the Northeast entitled EVOLVE. Hamaoui recently has made a bid to be granted a New York State promoter’s license, which is the first step.
The project has been worked on in secrecy for months and I heard clues and hints about it at the last FIP show I attended, but as usual they worked me. Bastards. Seriously though, this partially explains the union between Dragon Gate and FIP as now Sal plans to expand into the Northeast market.
The company is beginning the tease with an online viral campaign, starting with this YouTube video, teasing the birth of the company.
The company’s homepage is already in effect over at www.EVOLVEwrestling.com. There is no word as to whether or not they will feature Dragon Gate talent, but I have a feeling that they will. Will they compete against Ring of Honor? Well considering DGUSA is running in Arizona the same day that ROH is for Wrestlemania weekend, that seems to be the case. I don’t know if competing for the same 2000 or so fans is that great of an idea, but whatever.
I’m excited to see what this trio can come up with!