News and notes from around the MMA world …
- Brandon Vera is back with the UFC.
- Kendall Grove talks about his upcoming fight with Patrick Cote.
- Dana White talks about HBO and syndication.
- Randy Couture trains with Wanderlei Silva.
- Todd Martin compares MMA fighters to their sports counterparts.
- Zach Arnold talks about Dana White’s stance on steroids from a fighter’s perspective.
Brandon Vera comes back to a much different UFC Heavyweight division. When Vera beat Frank Mir to put himself in line for a title shot, there was no Randy Couture, Mirko Cro Cop, or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Unfortunately for Vera, when it came time for him to challenge Tim Sylvia for the title, he only had one fight left on his contract. If he were to beat Sylvia and not resign with the UFC, he could leave as champion, making the UFC look bad. When it didn’t look like he and the UFC were going to be able to work out a contract extension, his title shot went to Randy Couture. And like they say, the rest is history.
Vera improves an already solid division. And he’s a young and exciting fighter who puts on highly energetic fights and has a style that is fun to watch. Though he’s a little on the light side, other than Sylvia, the top heavyweights aren’t behemoths. They are athletic heavyweights without a ton of bulk. So Vera fits right in.